Graves Disease Causes
Learning about Graves Disease causes is especially important if you have been diagnosed with this disease. This
particular health problem is a direct result of an issue associated with your immune system. It is this body system that
assists in combating various types of diseases and illnesses that may invade the body.
In normal circumstances, the immune system responds to illnesses, diseases and foreign agents by producing special antibodies. When Graves Disease develops, it indicates that your body’s immunity has produced an antibody that fights against a protein that is typically located on the cells that are part of the thyroid gland. This outlines the main reason that this disease develops.
According to research, it has been established that the thyroid produces special hormones that control an individual’s metabolism. Metabolism is a process that gauges the rate of speed associated with converting food into energy. There is a hormone called the “Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone” (TSH) that sends a message to your thyroid that it should start producing the hormones that are required to meet your body’s metabolism needs.
However, if the immune system does not respond appropriately – as in the case of Graves Disease – antibodies are
created abnormally. It just so happens that when this occurs, the antibodies that are released are similar to the TSH hormone that pushes the thyroid into production. As a result, your body believes that it is supposed to produce higher levels of metabolism hormones.
Common Graves Disease Causes
When learning about the most common Graves Disease causes, you will find that the ultimate cause relates to the
improper response of the immune system to create antibodies that are similar in composition to the TSH. This particular response has been researched and recorded in numerous case studies.
When reviewing Graves Disease causes, ultimately, you are attempting to uncover the reason behind the improper response of your immune system. By knowing why your system reacted abnormally, you will learn why you have acquired Graves Disease.
Unfortunately, medical professionals have yet been able to pinpoint the exact reasoning behind immune system dysfunction. However, there are numerous theories that doctors have developed.
They are as follows:
- Many doctors believe that an improper immune system response could occur if you are genetically inclined to experience such complications.
- If there is a secondary health issue such as an autoimmune disorder, illness or infection present in the body, it could lead to issues with the body’s immune response.
- Many medical professionals claim that if the body is experiencing an excessive amount of stress, your immune system may become dysfunctional.
Treatment and Management of Graves Disease
If a doctor has established that you have Graves Disease, they will initiate a treatment plan that will work to inhibit the overall production of these hormones. This assists in reducing the potentially negative effects that these hormones have on the body when produced in excessive levels. The following outlines the most common treatment and management techniques for patients that are suffering from symptoms:
- Medication Therapy – a medical professional will typically start medication therapy with anti-thyroid medications. They are designed to completely stop the production of hormones in the thyroid gland. In addition to this, beta blockers may be prescribed. These medications assist in alleviating the symptoms of this thyroid condition. In addition,radioactive iodine may be prescribed.
- Lifestyle Changes – There are a couple of lifestyle changes that patients suffering from Graves Disease may consider to overcome the complications. Examples of these activities may include changing your diet, exercising and reducing the amount of stress that your are experiencing.
- Surgery – If medication therapy and lifestyle changes do not assist in treating your Disease, a doctor may prescribe surgery. During the procedure, the thyroid may be removed in whole or in part.
As you can see, there can be many causes of Graves Disease. The main culprit is an abnormal response from the immune system. However, there are many factors that may play a role in the dysfunction of the immune system.
Experiencing high levels of stress, secondary illnesses and certain lifestyle activities are all culprits of an abnormal immune response. If you have this thyroid issue, it is important to seek out medical assistance. Regardless of what causes Graves Disease, treatment is typically successful if the problem is discovered quickly.
Return to the main Graves Disease page